Saturday, March 10, 2007

Being Caribou, and Whales, and Coyotes

My daughter and I just got home from a two night conservation film festival at our local nature center. The films gave us so much to think and talk about that they'll probably pop up as blog topics several times. Titles included Flight of the Merganser, Chasing Coyotes, Life List, Arctic Dreams, Life Among Whales, and Store Wars. All of them are well worth viewing and discussing, though the whale movie could have been rated R for graphic violence and my 12 year old was pretty overwhelmed by the sadness after seeing so many dismembered animals. I'm glad I didn't take my younger son; depressing and frightening kids isn't the best way to recruit young environmentalists. But that's another entry. . . .

For now, though, I want to emphasize my favorite film, Being Caribou. It tells the amazing story of two Canadians who follow the porcupine caribou herd from their winter territory to their calving grounds in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. It's successful as an adventure, documenting the hardships of following caribou trails on foot through snow, over mountains, and across rivers while carrying 80 pound packs. They used so much energy in their daily treks that they felt hungry day and night. It works as satire, too, since the couple brought along a plastic George Bush doll to witness their trek. George remains stoic throughout their trek, even weathering a four-day blizzard with the same frozen grin. But does the film work as a form of activism? Did the audience feel inspired to fight for the Arctic Refuge and wilderness afterward? I would love to know. I certainly felt more determined than ever to go to the upcoming Climate Crisis Day in D.C. Next, I'm going to check out the film's website Being Caribou and learn more about how the companion book and related efforts to protect the refuge.

Are films as effective--or more effective--than books at inspiring environmental action? Do we have evidence, anecdotes, or just opinions to guide us in answering that question? I'd love to hear what others think. . . .

No comments: